Spirulina powder has multiple uses in cooking, including for making pasta, bread, buns, cookies, and cakes. These are all foods that will have a high protein content as an added value, so they are particularly good for a good start to the day, with the right boost of energy.
We focus here on spirulina pasta, a dish certainly worth trying for an energetic and healthy lunch.
An appetizing and nutritious dish
First, spirulina pasta is an excellent source of protein, amino acids, antioxidants, and minerals, such as calcium and iron. Just as an example, it has an iron concentration for as much as 34 times that of spinach. Spirulina pasta can be topped as desired, perhaps with sautéed vegetables, pistachios and pumpkin seeds, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and some chili or a mixture of spices and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. If you like fish, instead of pistachios and seeds you can add shrimp or salmon, or taggiasca olives. The result will always be a colorful, appetizing and nutritious dish!
If you want to try making spirulina pasta at home, starting with the powdered seaweed, here is a recipe for fresh noodles, for four people.
- To begin, sift flour into a bowl (200 g; use the flour you like best)
- Add Spirulina Algavenice powder (10 g) and two medium eggs.
- Knead until all ingredients are mixed well
- Prepare a well-floured work surface and continue working the dough with your hands
- Form a ball with the dough, wrap it with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After half an hour, place your dough ball on a work surface that has always been well floured and roll it out with a rolling pin until it is thin, about one millimeter thick.
- Add more flour to the surface of the pastry you have rolled out, if needed (beware that spirulina tends to moisten the dough)
- Roll the dough as if to create a roll and then with a smooth-bladed knife make noodles about half an inch thick.
- Finally unroll your noodles and arrange them on a plate or tray.
- While you prepare your sauce you can boil water, then cook the noodles 5 minutes at the most.
- Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan with the sauce, finally adding oil and spices to taste. And now…enjoy your meal!